What are the fees to register a Lasting Power of Attorney
Lasting Powers of Attorney are registered by the Office of the Public Guardian (OPG).
OPG fees to register one LPA:
If the donor (applicant) has an income of £12,000 or more per year, the fee is £82.00
If the doner has an income lower than £12,000 per year, the fee is halved to £41.00
If the donor is in receipt of any of the following means-tested benefits, the OPG will register the LPA’s free of charge.
- Income Support
- Income-based Employment and Support Allowance
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Guarantee Credit element of State Pension Credit
- Housing Benefit
- Council Tax Reduction/Support – also known by other names (not the 25% single person discount or the Class U exemption)
- Local Housing Allowance
- A combination of Working Tax Credit and at least one of:
Child Tax Credit
Disability Element of Working Tax Credit
Severe Disability Element of Working Tax Credit
If the donor receives Universal Credit, the fee is assessed on a case-by-case basis.
If the donor has received payment for personal injury in excess of £16,000, they will not qualify for a reduction if the payout was ignored when means-testing for the above benefits.